The Boston Braves at Braves Field
The nickname of the Braves was first given to the club at the suggestion of John Montgomery Ward, when James E. Gaffney, from Tammany Hall became club president in 1912. Previously, the club had been known as the Doves, a name bestowed on the team when George B. and John C. Dovey became its owners. They were also called the Red Caps and Bean-eaters. In 1936, when James A. Robert Quinn became president, the name of Bees was selected by a vote of scribes and fans. However, after a new syndicate, including Quinn, took charge in April 1941, the stockholders readopted the nickname Braves.